hian Hock Keng Temple was built by the Chinese immigrants from 1839 to 1842 to thank the Goddess Matsu for their safe passage across the South China Sea. A statue of Ma Cho Po came from China and was set up with fanfare in the temple's main prayer hall. The building now started serving as temple, school and community center.
Making of the Temple
Several building materials were recycled. Objects like flower petals and dragon scales were taken from broken pieces of potter while cutlery came ships. In 1907, Guang Xu, the Emperor of China, presented the temple a calligraphic panel, it's most precious gift.
The material used to construct the temple was brought from various nations. Tiles from England and the Netherlands, ironwork from Scotland, while massive granite pillars displaying dragons came from China.
The Temple was designated a national monument in 1973.
The Temple was built following the temple architectural style of Southern China. The Temple has impressive entrance with a high step in front. The side gates have brightly colored tiles displaying roses, peacocks and Buddhist swastika. Lions, tigers, and Door Deities, conventional protectors of any Taoist temple, guard the doors. The Temple has pagodas on either sides. One of them has ancestral tablets of the founders of the temple while the other has a shrine of Confucius.
How To Reach
It is at short walk from Raffles Place or Tanjong Pagar MRT Station.
158, Telok Ayer Street
Singapore - 048613