Church and Methodism
Founded in 1889 by Dr. Benjamin West, a Methodist missionary and doctor, in a rented shop house, the Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church has played an important role in the birth of Methodism in Singapore. English and American missionaries who preached in Chinatown played an important role in it's evolution. The building that houses the church today was built in 1924-25.
The Church was designated a national monument in 1989.
Surprisingly, till date, the church building has preserved it's original design with little in it's outward look. The church has rectangular main body resting on arch colonnades. The basic design is Roman while the roof is carved in the conventional Chinese manner. The Church sanctuary is made at the second storey. The Church body is demarcated at its four corners by large, tapered buttress-like forms, punctured by rectangular and circular window openings
How To Reach
The Church is at short walk from Tanjong Pagar MRT Station.
235, Telok Ayer Street
Singapore - 068656