Making of the Temple
Construction of the temple began on the land acquired in 1823 by Narayan Pillai, who had accompanied Sir Stamford Raffles to Singapore. By 1827, a wooden thatched temple was built here. By 1862-63, the present structure came into being. However, it has underwent renovations several times, and every time, something was added to the temple.
Since its inception, the Temple has been very important for the Hindu community in Singapore. It has also played significant role in promoting literacy, arts and Tamil education.
The Temple was designated as a national monument in 1973.
South Indian Dravidian style has been followed to built the temple. Most impressive feature is the tall gopuram (tower). Erected just at the entrance, it displays Hindu deities, and floral decorations. Idols of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu are flanking it. Within the temple complex is the prayer hall with bedecked ceilings. Ornately adorned onion dome cover the four shrines in the temple.
How To Reach
Board the MRT to City Hall Station. Then take a bus from North Bridge Road.
244, South Bridge Road
Singapore - 058793