The credit of designing the Building goes to the British architect Frank W. Brewer. In 1942, when World War II started, the building was converted to a Red Cross Casualty Station. When the Japanese occupied the nation, it was used to house various Japanese military departments. After the culmination of the World War, it served as the headquarters for Admiral Lord Mountbatten. Thereafter, it was converted back to a cinema and a hotel. In the 1950s, the Hotel was transformed as apartments.
The front part of the Building was designated a national monument in 2003.
Renovation & Reopening
The new-look Building has modern day avant garde design while maintaining art-deco facade of the 1930s. Reopened on 24 March 2006, the Building holds retail, food and beverage outlets as well as a 8-screen cineplex.
Handy Road, Singapore